Pictured above is the old railway bridge in Kings Road, Chingford c1929.
The bridge was erected just prior to the Chingford line being extended some 60 years from when the first station opened in 1873 in Bull Lane (now Kings Road), to a new ‘Chingford’ station (opened in 1878) on the edge of the town to a place far less useful to the local population.
How the bridge looks today
It was an attempt to attract tourist traffic to the forest and to stimulate suburban growth in the fields surrounding it, and it worked.
Find out more abour Chingford Historical Society at its websiste www.chingfordhistory.org.uk